Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Altura y cultura


Day 113
Current Location: Zacatecas, Zacatecas (Mexico)
Total Countries visited: 3
Total Miles Driven: 18,588

Hello all !  It's been a while, how are you ?

I am currently in gorgeous Zacatecas, in the heart of Mexico.  The view from my hotel roof deck is amazing - check this out:

A blogger in action.
Since last time, I have been to two absolutely amazing places.

First, Real de Catorce.  This place has mystic and religious meaning for many Mexicans, some of whom walk hundreds of miles there each Spring as pilgrimage.  Its location is incredible, and so is its history.  It is nested over 9,000 feet in the mountains and the only way to get there is through an old mine shaft that is over a mile long.  Then you find yourself in the "village in the sky", as the locals call it.

The full-time population of Real is under 1,000 but if you count tourists and transient species, it is somewhere around 2,000.  The village was originally founded in the 18th century when silver was discovered - and it was built up for 15,000 residents who lived there through most of the 19th century.  Then, price of silver plummeted and the village was almost completely deserted, only to be rediscovered by tourists and spiritual seekers in the 20th century and beyond.

Therefore, most of the town is in ruins, and the current residents only occupy a small portion of the original site.  It is a most eerie atmosphere - and as I was wandering the streets, surrounded by ruins and children playing, I did feel some kind of energy, as if all those ghosts of silver bonanza had never left.

Mine shaft entrance to Real de Catorce.
View from my hotel
Perrito.
I thought they were cute.
View from the ruins above the city.
I thought I had seen it all.  Then, this morning I went on a horseback riding tour up the mountains, around 10,000 foot high.  I'm not very good at horseback riding (and the guide made fun of me a few times), so it was pretty scary - the road was steep, treacherous and the horse was eager.  But I survived, and the danger was fully worth the amazing views of the city in the mountains and surrounding ruins.  Check this out:

Horse is not used to that much weight !
This smile is hiding a bit of panic - or is it ?
Wow.  There is really no way out but through the mountains.
Gorgeous, isn't it ?

As I have another day in Zacatecas, I will keep that part for the next blog post.

Otherwise, I am doing great - I am healthy, and happy.  Mexico isn't at all what I had been expecting, for the better.  I was expecting dangers and perils at all corners, and I haven't seen any of it (keep fingers crossed).  I was expecting locals who distrust the gringos, but they have been helpful and friendly everywhere.  I was expecting to see wretched poverty...

Yes, most people I meet are poor - perhaps some make the equivalent of a few thousand dollars per year, many make much less.  But I haven't seen misery just yet.  Everyone is busy, working the family shop, making food on the street, working as tour guide or otherwise.  There were a few beggars, but not any more than I had seen in the USA.  People here manage, and they seem happy and healthy.

So I am mixed in my emotions - part of me feels bad that they do not live in the luxury that I am used to, but the other part envies their ability at happiness and life in such impossible places.  They are truly amazing people.

On that, I go eat.

Hasta Luego !

DMR

2 comments:

  1. All I'm saying is: I wish I could borrow ur eyes to c these wonders!!!!...haha ;) -Be safe!. ... Cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Denis! Tu te paies le trip de toute une vie!

    ReplyDelete