Sunday, November 13, 2011

God Bless America


Day 104
Current Location: Austin, TX (USA)
Total Countries visited: 2 (and that's about to change)
Total Miles Driven: More than I can count

Hi everyone -

Just a quick note as I am about to cross into Mexico in less than 24 hours.  My trip has been amazing so far, and I know that it will continue to be amazing, but things are going to change very soon.

I am going to miss Starbucks Coffee, where I can get free internet (and pretty decent coffee) in most places I have visited.  I am going to miss Walmart and KOA for providing me with safe and pleasant places to park my van for the night.  I am going to miss nicely paved highways where Large Marge can go 75 mph (she wishes she could go faster !).  I am going to miss the 24-hour convenience that is found everywhere in the US and Canada.

On the other hand, I will be exploring jungles, visiting ancient civilizations, snorkeling and scuba diving in crystal-clear waters with fish and other marine wildlife, getting a really good tan on the Caribbean Coast, meeting incredible people from very different cultures,  and much more.  Not a bad trade, isn't it ?

I must also make an announcement, a major shift in my trip itinerary... Some of you have already picked up on it, my trip is going much slower than I had originally anticipated.  For that reason, I have decided to forgo the South American portion of my travels.  I currently plan to head all the way to the tip of Panama, then turn Large Marge around and drive back into the US.  It makes a lot more sense to me given my timing and budget constraints.  I can (and will) give South America a proper shot at a later time.

I know some of you are worried about me, driving through Mexico and other countries of Latin America.  Trust me, I am not fooling myself.  I am a bit scared too, but not nearly as worried as I am excited about the next few months.  I will be taking all precautions possible to ensure a safe trip.

Connecting to the rest of the world will be increasingly difficult in the next few months, but I will make every effort to write as often as possible.  If I have to, I will write a short note every few days, without the great array of pictures that you have been used to, to let everyone know that I am safe.  I can always post pictures at a later time.

On that note, I will go now and enjoy my last evening in the USA for a while - and wish you all a wonderful week!

Hasta muy pronto,

DMR

Bye Bye USA !

No comments:

Post a Comment